Students selected to study composition at Sewanee will have multiple opportunities to have their music performed, workshopped and coached during the festival. Students will enjoy weekly lessons and seminar with program coordinator Jorge Variego and have ample time to study, compose and collaborate with fellow students and faculty members. The program is capped at four student composers in the composition track, in order to allow ample time for reading sessions, rehearsals, and performances. Program highlights include:
- Reading session with the Sewanee Symphony
- Chamber music performances on the student chamber music series
- Master classes in contemporary composition and performance techniques with selected festival faculty
- Composition studio recital
- Private lessons
- Group seminar
Please see the tuition and financial aid page for details on the composition track costs.
- Composition applicants should submit scores of PDF ’s two contrasting works written for solo, chamber or large ensemble ( orchestra, chamber orchestra or wind band). Recordings or midi realizations are not required but encouraged. In addition, two letters of recommendation are required.
Instrumental festival participants may register for composition seminar and lessons for an additional fee. Students studying composition in this format will have the opportunity to attend the composition seminar, weekly private lessons, and compose for the seminar-workshop ensemble.
Program costs, Supplimental study in composition*
Supplimental study in composition
Private lessons $360
Seminar and lessons $600
*Please note, scholarship funding is not available for supplemental study in composition.
For program questions, please contact – Jorge Variego at firstname.lastname@example.org
For all other program questions, please contact the Festival office.